Sunday, October 17, 2010

In Memory Of Skeemo

Well as I have indicated over the last couple of posts, our beloved dog, Skeemo, crossed over the Rainbow Bridge on Friday, October 15th around 1pm. We took her to the vets office for an appointment and everyone agreed that it would be in her best interest to euthanize her. It is, by far, one of the hardest decision any pet owner needs to make. However I firmly believe that it is a responsible decision.

Skeemo came to live with my first husband and I in May of 1995, she was 8 weeks old. She has been a true companion to me for the last 15 and a half years. She moved with me 6 times, helped me thru a bitter divorce, 5 jobs, a new marriage, and the loss of two pets. I cannot begin to describe the emptiness I feel right now. It has been a truly difficult weekend for all of us.

Back in May she developed a small lump on the bridge of her nose, right between her eyes. At first I thought it was a mosquito bite but it didn't go away. We took her to the vet and they byopsied it but said it was nothing to worry about. Due to its location it could not be removed so we were told to keep an eye on it and let them know if it changed size or shape.

In June we went back to the vet because it had changed in both size and shape. Again we were told to keep an eye on it as there was nothing that could be done. The growth continued to change in size and shape over the summer. In September she developed nosebleeds which is very uncommon and dangerous for dogs. We immediately took her back to the vet. This was when we were told it was not just a growth but a tumor. The vet gave us some pain meds and told us to take her home and make her final days comfortable. I truly hope she was comfortable during the last four weeks.

Here are some photos I have of her on this computer:


This is a professional photo I had taken when we still had two dogs; Tasha (Keeshond) and Skeemo (American Eskimo).

This was Skeemo's favorite toy for a very long time. It got so bad (stinky) that we had to replace it several times!

Here she is just hanging out with the family!


She loved the water. We took her camping with us every year and here she is at Danforth Bay Camping and RV Resort. I think she liked this campground the most! Just like her mom! LOL


This is one of my favorite pictures. Camping just exhausts her!

Thank you for sharing my walk down memory lane. I need to get some pictures of her earlier years off the external hard drive. I'll share some of her puppy pictures when I find them.

Have a good week.

-Janice

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain! Such a beautiful dog.
    Margo

    ReplyDelete